How to recycle aerosol cans
Did you know that aerosols are widely recycled? Not all councils collect them for recycling though, so check our recycling locator to see what your local collection arrangements are.
How to recycle
- Make sure they’re completely empty
- Don’t try to pierce, crush or flatten them
- Remove the lid and recycle it separately
What are aerosols made from?
- Around 60% are made from tin plated steel
- Around 40% are made from aluminium
Both steel and aluminium are recyclable. Aerosols also contain some small plastic and rubber parts. These are taken out during the recycling process.
Did you know?
If everyone in the UK recycled just one more can of air freshener, enough energy could be saved to run a TV in 273,000 homes for a year!