How to recycle
Want to recycle your food waste but not sure if you can? Check our recycling locator tool to find out if you can recycle it at home.
- If your council has given you a kitchen caddy, you can recycle your food waste
- Food waste basically means the bits of food you can’t eat like bones, peelings, cores and shells. You can also recycle your tea bags and coffee grounds, so don’t forget to stick these in your caddy too
- Remember to remove all packaging, especially plastic film
Check out our food recycling page for more information about recycling your leftover food.
To keep it simple, here's a list of things that can go in your caddy
- Tea bags and coffee grounds
- Plate scrapings
- Out of date or mouldy food
- Meat and fish bones
- Raw and cooked meat and fish
- Egg shells
- Gone off bread, cakes, pastries etc. (not the wrapping!)
- Fruit and veg peelings and cores
Feed the power!
Your food waste can be turned into electricity or into compost for farmers to use!