You can recycle your veg peelings!
Want to recycle your food waste but not sure if you can? Check our recycling locator tool to find out if you can recycle it at home.
How to recycle food waste
If your council has given you a kitchen caddy, you can recycle your food waste
- Food waste basically means the bits of food you can't eat like bones, peelings, cores and shells. You can also recycle your tea bags and coffee grounds, so don't forget to stick these in your caddy too
- Remember to remove all packaging, especially plastic film
To keep it simple, here's a list of things that can go in your caddy
Tea bags and coffee grounds
- Plate scrapings
- Out of date or mouldy food
- Meat and fish bones
- Raw and cooked meat and fish
- Egg shells
- Gone off bread, cakes, pastries etc. (not the wrapping!)
- Fruit and veg peelings and cores
Did you know?
Your food waste can be turned into electricity or into compost for farmers to use
Watch this short video to find out more about these food waste transformations