Watch this video to find out what happens to the tins and cans you send for recycling:
How is aluminium recycled?
- Aluminium cans are shredded.
- They are then melted in a huge furnace.
- The molten metal is poured into ingot casts to set. Each ingot can be made into around 1.5 million cans.
How is steel recycled?
- Steel cans are put into a furnace.
- Oxygen is then blasted into the furnace which heats up to around 1700°C.
- The liquid metal is poured into a mould to form big slabs which are then rolled into coils.
- These coils are used to make all sorts of steel products such as bikes, cars, bridges, paperclips or even new food and drink cans.